Are you curious to know about how to Add Content & Create pages on a WordPress website? If yes then you are in the right place. in this blog, I am going to guide you step by step that helps you to create a page sand post for your website.
Are you ready?
Now the fun part, it’s time to create all the individual pages of your website.
You will do this within the WordPress website.
WordPress comes with two default content types i.e, pages, and posts.
And on the other hand, posts are part of a blog and appear in reverse-chronological order that means newer posts are displayed first.
Let’s learn how to add some content that means basic pages and posts to your website.
Create basic pages for the Website
There are some basic pages that all websites should have regardless of their purpose or goal.
So here’s how to create a page at first:
- Simply go to your WordPress dashboard, then ‘Pages’, and after that click “Add New”.
- (a) Then a page(screen) will open, on that screen you will see a place for the headline of the page.
- (b) Then comes the body section(main content of the page). The interface is very similar to MS Word and here you get all the basic text formatting features such as bold, italics, aligning text, creating a list, etc.
- (c) You can also add images, videos, audios, links by clicking this button.
- (d) Switch between the text and visual editor only when you are familiar with HTML code unless don’t need to switch.
- (e) On this page this one is called featured image. The image you add here will show somewhere in a prominent spot alongside your page.
- (f) In this Discussion section, you will find two options i.e, allow comments( you can enable or disable comments for this page here), and another one is “trackbacks and pingbacks” setting you can leave this option unchecked.
- (g) After you are done editing the content, go to the publish section and click this main Publish button to publish this page.
Every website has a few standard pages you should consider creating:
- Homepage– Your WordPress theme usually has settings for the Homepage.
- About– It’s really an important one. This page is where you get to tell the story of what your website is and why people should pay attention to your website. This page is a must-have page for everybody who wants to learn how to make a site.
- Contact– This is the page where you can display some contact information along with a contact form, which you can get by installing a WordPress plugin(WPForm plugin). Through this page, people can reach you directly.
- Product or Service Page-This page is for the main services or products that you are offering.
- Blog– If you are building a blog then make sure all your blog posts get listed here.
Let’s add a few blog posts as well.
Add Posts to your Site
Think of posts as blog posts that are published under a blog section of a website which is called “Posts”. If you are not planning on having blogs on your site then you can also skip posts entirely.
Blog means content, as well as marketing through content(content marketing), is among the most effective ways to promote not only the website but also any service or product you might want to sell through that website.
Recently I got to know that blogs are a superior tool for marketing online. A lot of marketers say that blogging is their top inbound marketing priority.
Blogging is a straightforward concept. What you do is write articles related to the topic of the site and publish it. Regularity is very important for blogging so do it regularly.
From a technical viewpoint, WordPress has blogging tools in-built so don’t worry much. In fact, WordPress started as a blogging platform at first.
Head over to Posts >> Add New on your WordPress dashboard( admin area).
You will see a screen after clicking ‘Add New’ much like you saw earlier when adding pages.
You can add a post title and add content in the visual post editor and yes you will also notice some extra options such as post-formats, categories, and tags. You can also assign your post to category and tag.
Once you have added a post, you will need to populate it with your own content before clicking publish to make it live. The best approach is to add any written content in different “Text Blocks”. You can also add images and videos in between( video can also be embedded from YouTube or any similar websites), or image gallery is either as a carousel of pictures or a selection of thumbnails).
Once you are done working on a blog post, you can click on the save button to store your post as a draft or click on the publish button to make it visible on the website but make sure you preview it before hitting publish.
To make your posts easily accessible, you should designate one of the pages to serve as the main blog listing for posts.
To do it, head to Pages >> Add New and then create a blank page and name it ‘BLOG’ or ‘Blogs’- just to clear things. Then go to the option Settings >> Reading and select the newly created page as the ‘Posts Page’ like so:
At this stage, you can navigate to that new page and see all your recent posts there.
From my point of view, write your blogs as unique, informative, and post it regularly also makes them attractive for people to read and also it will help you to drive a great amount of traffic to your site and also helps you to get rank on search engines.
So if you have learned anything from the small piece of content please comment down below and if you have any query please let me know.